Sunday, August 23, 2015

Sunday Snapshot: Blogger Seeking Amazing Books

Sofie trying on her sparkly shark costume. Rawr!

Currently reading:

A Taste of Heaven by Penny Watson and The Red-Headed League by Arthur Conan Doyle.

Posted:

authors who hate edgar allan poe


My post on authors hating on other authors went up at Quirk Books Blog this Friday. If you think my reviews are harsh...

Movies watched:

bill cunningham new york
Bill Cunningham New York, starring Bill Cunningham

A documentary on the eccentric Bill Cunningham, fashion photographer for the Times. I liked it. Cunningham is seriously old, like in his eighties, and still out-works every other reporter at the Times. If you're interested in the NYC fashion scene this will probably be right up your alley.

Subscription boxes:

le tote box


I managed to move through my Le Tote box with fair efficiency this week. I didn't like the bag much–it was much more of a sack than I was expecting. I prefer smaller bags with more division to them so stuff doesn't get buried at the bottom. But I do have to admit it proved fairly useful for carrying around stacks of books, papers, sandwiches, jackets... anything, really. As for the other items, the black floral blouse was my favorite.

scent bird brit sheer


I also got my second perfume from Scent Bird, Brit Sheer by Burberry. It's okay, but I think I'm going to cancel this service. I wasn't excited about receiving this subscription at all. I'm just not a perfume person.

Theme of the week:

Instead of doing my usual paragraph on the stuff going on in my life, this week I'd like to talk about something that's been bothering me for months now. To whit: I have yet to read a single five star book this year.

In any other respect, my year in reading is going pretty well. I'm reading more books that I did last year (which was dismal, numbers-wise), and meeting my goals of reading more upcoming and new releases, as well as more graphic novels.

But that kind of seems beside the point when it's been so long since I fell completely in love with a book that I've almost forgotten what it feels like. A few books have come very close to five star-worthy, and at least a dozen have been thoroughly fun and enjoyable–I'm certainly not hating every book I pick up and honestly like the majority of them. But where's my 2015 version of The River of No Return, or The Chocolate Touch? Even audiobooks are letting me down–I usually find at least one audiobook in a six month period that's gush worthy, but this year? Meh.

I don't know what the solution is. I already DNF books that bore me or aren't working for me. Perhaps there's something wrong with my brain? Either way, I'm still on the lookout for that book that sings to me. Metaphorically speaking.

Bonus:

paul bocuse restaurant lyon

gusteau restaurant ratatouille


Guys, I think I found the real-life inspiration for Gusteau from Ratatouille! I was watching Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown this morning (my current binge watch), and he ate at Chez Paul Bocuse in Lyon. Doesn't the exterior of the restaurant remind you of Gusteau's? The similarity is even more significant when you get a look inside the restaurant. AND Bocuse wrote a cookbook whose cover is suspiciously similar to the one Gusteau wrote. The two men (well, one man and one cartoon character) even kind of look alike.


Hope you all having a great week!



Discus this post with me on Twitter, FaceBook, Google+ or in the comments below.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...