Friday, November 25, 2011

Favorite Not-Holiday Movies, Take Two

sweeney todd

It's officially the holiday season, which means it's time for another installment of favorite not-holiday movies! Last year, I discussed how I really like to watch movies during the holidays that have nothing to do with Christmas, but I think they do, because I guess I don't understand 'Christmas movies.' This year, there's a new crop of must-see not-holiday movies I'm adding to my watch list!
  • Sweeney Todd  What's cheerier than seeing Johnny Depp singing? If you answered lots of blood and bodies being baked into mince meat pies, thennnn you might want to see a psychiatrist. Unless you were thinking of this movie, in which case, yeah!!! I'm not sure why I like this movie for the holidays, but there is something weirdly cozy about it. Everyone gets their just desserts. Plus, red... that's, like, half the Christmas colors.
  • The Golden Compass  I love the steampunk design of this movie, and how Lara's really smart. I also love Daniel Craig. Rawr. Plus you've also got polar bears and a little girl setting sail for North Pole, so that's pretty Christmas-y.
  • The Lord of the Rings  Wizards with long white beards! And lots of names that start with S (like Santa)! And ghosties and fairies and golden rings, oh my! These are also a series of films that feel very cozy to me even though they are insanely long and take three weeks to watch. Plus, my mom got the new blue ray extended edition set, which is like FIFTEEN DISKS, and I'm super-psyched to watch them.
Now that I think about it, a lot of my favorite not-holiday movies have several things in common, namely: 1. man candy, 2. lots of special effects, 3. a dark story, 4. spooky or violent plot elements, and 4. British accents.

What are some of your favorite not-holiday movies?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...