Sunday, June 13, 2010

Revelation

an education poster

Lately I've been thinking a lot about how the role of revelation is increasingly taking over my entertainment life.  What do I mean?

A few weeks ago, I watched An Education, which was a very good movie.  I've been thinking about it on and off since.  Then last week, while at my ridiculously boring job, my mind started to wander and all of a sudden I was filled with a desire to buy the soundtrack.  What's really strange about this is I didn't notice the music in the film at all while I was watching it, and wouldn't have been able to tell you what could possibly be on the soundtrack or even if there was one.  Nonetheless, I was certain that I HAD to download it.  I did as soon as I woke up the next morning and it is excellent!

Similarly, I was sitting around at work last week and was suddenly hit with a desire to read Dreamfever by Karen Marie Moning.  Again, I was surprised at how good the book was.

I didn't really think anything of this until I was perusing my old blog, looking for posts that I might want to re-publish here, and came across an essay I wrote about Giorgio de Chirico (he's the artist I did my MA thesis on).  While reading it, I was reminded of two things I had forgotten: one (not pertinent to the discussion), the Ancient Greeks painted only using four colors, and de Chirico painted his early work only using four colors, which suggests he was always a "classical" artist; and two, that the idea of revelation is central to most of de Chirico's work.  Revelation as in, seeing something suddenly, or abrupt enlightenment. 

I'm not saying there's anything remotely divine-inspired in my choices of music or books lately, but it does seem like my instincts or subconscious or whatever is inspiring me to make choices that are pleasant or enlightening surprises.  I like this method of decision-making.

Have you ever felt moved to read, listen to, etc., something you normally wouldn't?



Powered by ScribeFire.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...