Friday, April 30, 2010

Announcing: Venice Challenge!

venice challenge button 1

venice challenge button 2

While doing some research for my Listed: Venice post the other day, I ran across a TON of books set in and about Venice at my library.  Even exercising some control over myself, I still wound up checking out about a dozen Venice-themed books I just couldn't pass up, plus buying two on EvilEmpire.com (aka Amazon--what can I say, there was a sale). 

With all the books about Venice out there, I started thinking it would be great to have a reading challenge about it!  Here are the deets:

Where: Truth, Beauty, Freedom, and Books (http://heidenkind.blogspot.com/)

When:  May 1st, 2010-May 1st, 2011

What:  Read 6 books set in the city of Venice, or about Venice.  I don't care if it's fiction, non-fiction, fantasy, YA, or whatever.

How:  Sign up in Mr. Linky below and update it every time you do a post for the challenge.

pile of books

What am I planning on reading for the challenge?  There are so many choices!  Here's what I'm thinking of so far (and yes, I know it looks like considerably more than six books):

  • Faces Under Water by Tanith Lee
  • Lord of the Night by Susan Wiggs
  • City of the Falling Angels by John Berendt
  • BIANCA: A Novel of Venice by Robert Elegant
  • The Glassblower of Murano and The Botticelli Secret by Marina Fiorato
  • The Book of Unholy Mischief by Elle Newmark
  • Hidden Voices by Pat Lowery Collins
  • The Bellini Card by Jason Goodwin
  • The World Before Her by Deborah Weisgall

If you need any suggestions, there are some great ones in the comments section of my Listed: Venice post.  ETA: CupK8 also found this amazing and enormous list of books set in Venice at Fictional Cities that you definitely need to check out!

I hope you can join me in reading about Venice this year and traveling to this romantic, fabulous city through stories in books!








Powered by ScribeFire.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...