Saturday, February 20, 2010

TSS--Announcing Classics Month!!

The Sunday Salon.com

Peering into my crystal ball, what do I see as the next big trend in reading fiction? Classics! Classics are readily available on the web through Google Books and libraries, as eBooks on readers, and as audiobooks on Librivox for a very good price--free! So why wouldn't you at least give a classic novel a try?

classics month button

As I mentioned briefly before, in March I'm gearing up to do a classic literature-themed month with Meghan from Medieval Bookworm. We have lots of things planned! Meghan's planning to read at least four classic novels (go to her blog to see what books she's picked out). Here's what I'm planning to try out:

  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne
  • Monkey by Wu Cheng'en
  • Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
  • Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez
  • The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler
  • Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child (it's a classic cook book!)
  • Colette and I will be reading the classic historical romance Katherine by Anya Seton for Romance Readers Anonymous
Challenges!

What would Classics Month be without a few friendly challenges? Meghan has challenged me to read Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. Since Meghan picked a book in her specialty (medieval), I hereby challenge Meghan to read Nadja by the Pope of Surrealism, André Breton! Just be glad your library didn't have Hebdomeros, Meghan!

We'll also be reading one novel together--we just haven't decided which one yet.

Guest Posts!

My favorite part of theme months are guest posts! I have a great line-up of posters in March who will lend their superior words to my humble blog:

March 8th Mjmbecky from One Literature Nut
March 15th Nymeth from Things Mean a Lot
March 22nd Rebecca from Lost In Books
March 29th Colleen from Bookphilia

You Pick What I Read!

Yes, I am seriously letting you pick out a book for me to read in March. Take the poll below and I will read the novel that receives the most votes.

What classic novel is a must-read in March?
The End of the Affair by Graham Greene
Lady Chatterley's Lover by DH Lawrence
A Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
Ethan Fromme by Edith Wharton
A Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Anna Karenina by Tolstoy
The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Epic of Gilgamesh
The Awakening by Kate Chopin
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
Other--leave suggestion in comments!
pollcode.com free polls


Want to get involved, write a guest post or just read along? Contact me or Meghan with your ideas. And here's to a fabulous March!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...